Today we are going to start writing the first article for our “Interesteen” magazine: an article about dream jobs.
Task 1: Think about the section where you would include this kind of article: jobs, lifestyle, future … In your article include the name of the section.
Task 2: Research on the Internet
- Visit the following website to search information about dream jobs. You can use information on this website, but express your ideas IN OWN WORDS.
Task 3: Writing the article.
- In an Openoffice Writer file write an attractive title to catch the reader’s attention.
- Write an interesting introduction, where you will explain what is the whole article about.The first paragraph of an article will be a “hook” to attract the reader. You will try to persuade them into wanting to read the whole article.
- Now write the heart of your article. Here you will place all your supporting material, such as statistics, quotes from interviews and professional sources, additional anecdotes, your analysis, etc.
- Finally, write a good conclusion. Sum up what you wrote about without simply repeating what you already said, that is, say it again but in a totally new way so your readers have no idea that they are reading the same information again. Give it a new angle. Treat the conclusion of your article as a summary and offer additional information to support what you’ve already offered. If possible, provide a bit broader view of a quote or information that takes the reader into the future. You know what they say – “Save the best for last.” (information adapted from http://carmaswindow.blogspot.com/2009/11/three-parts-of-magazine-article.html)
- Don´t forget to select the English language for your file and use the automatic spell checker.
Task 4: Layout of your article
- Step 1: Visit this website to take a look at other magazines to help you decide about the layout of your article.
- Step 2: Once you have the section, the title, the introduction, the body of your article and your conclusion, select some good images related to your article.
- Step 3: Highlight the headline, text using different colours or bigger fonts. Include a by-line with your name.
- Step 4. Arrange the different parts of your article and the images for one or two pages.
Task 5: That’s all! Now you are ready to send your amazing magazine article to your teacher by e-mail.