Next Friday 26th we celebrate the European Day of Languages to promote the importance of learning foreign languages.
Activity 1: First, watch this video about this event.
Activity 2: Click on the map of Europe and learn about the different languages spoken in this continent.
Activity 3: Answer these questions:
- What language do French, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian and Italian descend from? Greek or Latin
- Which family do they belong to? Romance language family or Slavic family
- Whichtwo languages belong to the Germanic family? Spanish / English / German / Portugal
- Which family do Russian, Polish and Czech belong to? Romance family / Slavic family
- Which family do Irish, Scots Gaelic and Welsh belong to? German family or Celtic family
- Which two languages belong to the Finno-Ugric family? English / Finnish / Hungarian
- Where is Basque spoken?
Activity 4: Now let’s learn more about ten language spoken in Europe. Click on the map and find out ore information about these languages.
- Which are the ten languages spoken in Europe that appear on the map?
- Where are they spoken?
- How do they say Hello and Bye-Bye in these different languages?
Activity 5: Now let’s learn more about languages in general. Pay attention to the following language facts.
Activity 6: Finally, let’s try a language quiz to check what you have learnt!