Today we will learn about where the English language comes from.
Activity 1: First, watch this video about the different periods in the formation of English. Write at least three words for the different chapters:
- Anglo-Saxons (410 AD)
- Norman Conquest (1066-1453)
- Shakespeare (1564-1616)
- The King James Bible (1611)
- The English of Science (late 17th century. Age of Enlightment)
- English and Empire (16th century. British Empire and the Age of Discovery)
- The Age of the Dictionary (Dictionary of the English Language 1746-1755)
- American English (1607 Pilgrims to America)
- Internet English (1991)
- Global English
Activity 2: Now, let’s listen to another story of the English language with more details. Answer the quiz that appear on-line.